Pages

Monday 23 May 2016

How I Made A Pouch For My Tula For Under $10


I discovered something about myself since having TheLittleBear.

I love love love to baby wear. I love baby carriers because they keep your baby close
but help you to be hands free.

In the beginning I had the Beco Gemini Baby Carrier. I loved that I didn't have to have 
a baby insert. As TLB grew I knew I wanted something with more support for her legs.

I research and researched and loved the Tula. 
However, no baby carrier is perfect.
I loved the Tula, but I longed for a pouch like the Ergo.
I loved the idea that you could throw a couple of things in the pouch and 
not have to carrier a purse. 

The Tula does has a pocket at the waistband, 
but it's small and only holds my wallet...

So I made my own pouch for the Tula Carrier.
I was at Old Navy and saw the perfect bag. It was only $5, so the price was right 
for my experiment.

You will need:

1. A Clutch that folds over. Mine had a magnetic part that kept it folded. 
The magnetic part is super helpful to keep the carrier attached to the Tula in the middle.


2. A hammer, snaps that match the Tula snaps, a zipper, needle and thread, 
and a snap tool. I got my snaps from here


3. A stitch remover and pen.


4. And finally pins. 

 

The first step is you want to attach you Tula snaps to the clutch. 
Measure out the distance of the snaps on your Tula, and mark it on the clutch with your pen.
Then follow the directions from your snap provider and attach the snaps.


The next step is to remove some of the stitching on the side of your clutch. 
Most clutches have zippers on the top, but because it folds down you won't be able to
reach it when you have it on your carrier. 
And it wouldn't be ideal to remove the new pouch every time you needed something.


Once one of the side stitches have been removed pin and sew in your new zipper. 



Then you are going to want to either remove or sew together the zipper at the top.

I did this because I didn't want TLB to have her back against a rough zipper. 
If your clutch doesn't have this problem then you can skip it :)


And...
Ta Daaaa!
Finished :)


It looks exactly the same so if you want to use it as a regular clutch you can.

Here's how it looks on the Tula.




I didn't think of this at the time, but the top fabric 
provides a nice soft place for TLB's neck.

I hope this helps you in your baby wearing adventures :)


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...