Pages

Monday 1 August 2016

You Gots-ta Research



My brother and I were talking about learning how to ski this winter.

My cousins who already know how to do winter sports responded with, "you just have to go up and do it."

We said, "nope, that's not how we learn... We need to google techniques, acquire some research and testimony books, then devour all the information, wait a couple of weeks and find more books... then devour those... then maybe do even more googling and youtube watching... then take a person to person hands on class, then finally try it on our own." You have to be prepared... ;)

My brother and I are the biggest academic nerds ever. We must research everything! I've been researching weaving techniques for a year now, and haven't even felt ready enough to buy materials...

This stringent research technique has also applied to sailing. Currently I have 15 sailing books, 46 websites book marked, 6 sailing magazines, and 4 survival books.

I threw in the survival books because I don't want to be stuck on a dessert island and not know how to survive. You have to be prepared for all scenarios! No one wants to be Gilligan, or a character on Lost. 

In my first sailing class I was the keener who read the entire book before the class started. I had to pretend I was dumb and not answer all the questions he was asking just to tone down my keenerness...

I was starting to look like a nerd, and not in a cute way, but in an I Know Everything about Everything ha ha ha... Kind of way.

Sailing People are super laid back. My hyper overachieving ways don't jive well with the ways of the sea. I know the sea and I can work it out. :)


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...