Pages

Monday 11 March 2019

Doctors... Doctors... Doctors...



This is a crazy thing I'm going to tell you...

Doctors are not always right.

When I was pregnant with TheLittleBear. I had an ultrasound at 34 weeks that made it look like TheLittleBear had clubbed feet. The doctors made me stay and speak to a geneticists who made me and TheDapperGentleman detail our family history.

Even though there was no history of clubbed feet. The doctors were convinced that TheLittleBear had this issue. I asked if there was a possibility that my womb didn't have a lot of room for her to stretch and that's why it made it appear in the ultrasound that her feet were in odd positions. They assured me that there was no possibility that she didn't have this diagnosis.

Because of this diagnosis, when I gave birth we had two different pediatricians look at her feet.

And...

The final diagnosis was that she didn't have clubbed feet because clubbed feet are stuck in the odd position. TheLittleBear's feet were flexible. Therefore when she started to grow and put weight on them, they would naturally straighten out. The pediatricians also said that there isn't a lot of room in the womb so sometimes their feet bend in odd angles...

Up until this point in my pregnancy, everything that had gone wrong was because of my body.

To hear that your perfect baby now had an imperfection that would need to be corrected with needles or a cast... This was hard to hear.

TheDapperGentleman and I kept this news to ourselves. In my gut I knew that I would love her no matter what, and this didn't change anything for me.

This will come as news to some of our friends and family because in the end we decided not to share this new development. We had a lot of support from our friends and family, and I didn't feel like I needed any support for this. I loved TheLittleBear no matter what, and I didn't want anyone to feel bad for us, because to me, there was nothing bad. This was our baby, and these were her feet.

The moral of the story is, doctors aren't always right. Until there are concrete fact, don't give up hope.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...