Pages

Monday 26 May 2014

Sowing Seedling and Seeds




Normally when I start my garden I directly sow seeds into my garden plot. This year I thought it would be nice to start seedlings for things that I know I'll have to thin out, or seeds that are tougher to grow. 

I started with butter lettuce and cucumber seeds. Because it wasn't very warm when I started these seedlings (Mid April), the cucumber seeds only started to sprout in the last 2 weeks. However, the lettuce seeds came up almost immediately ;)

Below is the progress shots over the past 4-6 weeks. 

I planted a lot of lettuce seeds because I wasn't sure how vigorous they were going to germinate. Once I saw how much they loved life, I knew I was going to have to thin them out. I hate waste, so I gently pulled out the excess seedlings and transfer planted them into the pot above. This is a very time consuming way of thinning, but you end up being able to use most of your seedlings :)

Another method in thinning out seedlings is to cut the seedlings you don't want. If you trim off their tops, they will wither and dye. 

 First 2 weeks, only the lettuce (left) are germinating.

2 weeks ago, I was loosing faith in the cucumbers, but they finally started sprouting.

Full blown cucumber seedlings, I love you :)

P.S. If you go to the garden store and buy a full rack of seedlings, keep the trays so you can create your own. Mine are from the marigolds I bought at the beginning of the season.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...